Florida Studio Theatre
Jim Starkey’s American Dream is a modest one: to replace the family’s doublewide trailer with a comfy house his daughter can inherit. His family’s aspirations, though, may be shaped by forces and desires beyond his control. Doublewide is a heartfelt and resonant comedy about a blue-collar family’s elusive dreams, and just how far they will go to hold on to them… and to each other.
NATIONAL NEW PLAY NETWORK ROLLING WORLD PREMIERE!
PREVIEWS & FEATURES
- BRADENTON HERALD
- SARASOTA HERALD-TRIBUNE
- SRQ MAGAZINE
- And join me for a tour of the set via FST’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- SARASOTA HERALD-TRIBUNE Summer Season Preview
- FST Summer Season preview video
- The Observer: Jason Cannon’s direction makes the most of Spotswood’s unpredictable comedy—without glossing over the play’s gritty truths… It all adds up to a moving story… Spotswood’s play does what good theater should. He takes you to a different world. He puts you in the Starkeys’ shoes and makes you feel what they feel. “Doublewide” literally brings their struggles home.
- Sarasota Herald-Tribune: A slice of real life with humor… [a] moving production… Spotswood and this production do make us appreciate what these characters represent and how easily lives can be upended.
- Sarasota Magazine: That family feels real… [An] affecting look at just how hard that dream really is to reach, and how one incident can alter forever the chances of making it… Under the direction of Jason Cannon, the cast of Doublewide delivers a feeling portrait of one family’s life… Doublewide pays off.